Help to plan or coordinate a real wedding or shadow a successful wedding planner
Scroll to the bottom to see available work experience placements exclusively for our students and graduates.
Getting practical, professional wedding planner work experience is nearly impossible in the wedding planning industry, yet it is one of the most important parts of your training. To give you the best possible start in your career and kick-start your portfolio, The Wedding Planner School guarantees voluntary experience exclusively for our planning course graduates and elite course graduates who reach the required standard.
Every wedding season we place more than 50 students into wedding planning work experience placements. You will help brides to execute their plans or shadow a professional wedding planner.
“My voluntary placement shadowing professional planner Samantha was absolutely fantastic. Samantha was very informative and made me feel at ease from the very beginning and her on the day planning schedule was extremely detailed and very helpful….Thank you for this opportunity, I would certainly recommend it.”
Amanda Vrac, WPS Graduate
How do I book my voluntary experience placement?
1) Choose a specific placement from the list below and make a note of the reference and date. Check that you are available and you understand what is required of you. More get added throughout the year so keep checking every week.
2) Read the terms and conditions on this Voluntary Work Experience Booking Form and Information 2018-2020
3) Then email the front desk team at the School by email to check if your chosen placement is definitely still available and that you are eligible for it. If you need insuring they will help you.
4) When they tell you to, complete and return the above form.
All placements require insurance which you can arrange yourself or pay a contribution towards a group WPS policy on booking.
This is a unique and expensive-to-run facility available to you for free if you are insured. Be brave, take advantage and put your learning into practice.
Date & Couple: 29th September 2018 for Rochelle & Jarno
Location: Kensington, London SW7 5LP & St John’s Crypt on the Green, Clerkenwell EC1R 0EA
Placements: 1 x wedding day lead coordinator (we have already found an assistant coordinator to help you)
What we know about this placement: You’ll need to attend one or two meetings with the couple and will visit the church and venue together. You won’t need a car on the wedding day as both venues are served by public transport.
This couple are really methodical so your job is to make sure their plan is followed on the day. The couple told us what they need from you: “On the day logistical coordination. Decorating the venue and church in the morning and guiding helpers and dismantling the church and venue decorations at various times of the day and the evening. Helping to direct people on to second venue. Many guests are from Finland and need a personable, friendly person to rely on. We are going for a enchanted garden chic for inside reception and venue, with gold, lavender, periwinkle blue and nature (green) accents.”
● An aesthetic eye to be able to replicate ideas (and even contribute to them)
● Able to take instruction and implement the agreed plan regarding setting up decorations at the venues and help dismantling them.
● Can do attitude and ability to get stuck in. For any logistics that require heavier lifting/taking tables apart, they can gather ushers and catering team to help etc.
● Ability to think on their feet, in case of any emergencies. They will have support from Best Man and Chief Bridesmaid.
● Positive! We want them to enjoy the day and for it to be great for everyone involved.
● Based in London or outskirts
If you want to take on the lead coordinator role or the assistant role and you are available on the dates required, email us now quoting reference: RochelleLondon
Date & Couple: 21st October 2018 for Emily & Renee
Location: The Adam & Eve, Mill Hill Village, London, NW7 1RL
Placements: 1 x wedding planner (and possibly one extra wedding day coordinator if requested by lead planner.)
What we know about this placement: You’ll be needed throughout the planning stage of this small wedding with a tastefully presented Harry Potter theme. Most meetings (approx 3+) should take place in North London and the couple are happy to contribute toward your bus fare or tube costs if desired but do confirm this at your first meeting. “We’re mostly looking for creative input and help structuring what happens in the evening of our wedding. We also really want to make sure someone is there for the duration of the wedding to help make sure all the little details are in place and things run smoothly.” Must be LGBT (gay) friendly. 40 day guests and 65 evening guests in a trendy venue in London.
If you want to take on the wedding planner and coordinator role and you are available on the dates required, email us now quoting reference: EmilyLondon
Keep checking because more wedding planner work experience placements throughout the UK are being added fortnightly over the spring and summer.